As one of the most convenient types of floor coverings, wooden flooring installation doesn’t require the usage of tools such as mortar, stretching tools, or floor size styles. You may do the installation with the instruments familiar to you, like drills, saws, and hammers. For floors with a better finish, consider using the services of experienced Berkeley Lake installers of hardwood floor.
Putting in hardwood flooring is an art work. It takes enough knowledge and artistic abilities. Though you can easily install it yourself with the help of some manuals and instruments, using the services of seasoned hardwood floor contractors could be a better option. Choose professionals who can provide a beautiful, efficient, and correct installation. Coordinating with them can help you obtain the results you need. Here are some ways to install wood flooring.
Hardwood Flooring Contractors
First maybe I can give you the easy answer. Hickory hardwood floors are pretty visually exciting. Many of the grades, particularly the lower ones have a huge variety of colour from almost white to the rich dark brown tones of the heart wood giving very dramatic looking hardwood flooring. Hickory, as a commercial species, is often a group of trees within one biological family that includes both the 'true hickories' and the 'pecan hickories.' Each member within this family has a different spectrum of colours. It is not just a question of whether the wood is sap wood or heart wood, but also a question of exactly what wood species you are buying. Together they can produce a quite vibrant and variable looking floor.
Interesting enough some wholesalers are coining the phrase 'calico' hickory to refer to this dramatic variation of colour. They guarantee that every piece of wood will have both the light and dark shades of wood on every face, not that that really matters if we are talking about flooring as only one face shows, but may be more relevant if we are making hickory kitchen cabinets.
Earlier we were suggesting that much of this colour variation is found in the lower grade, but in addition to the colour the lower grades will also have significant natural defects like pock marks and knots. This figure creates quite a rustic appearance that emulates country living and lake side property but this is not appropriate to every set of interior decorating plans. Thus it is important to see a large enough sample of the floor you are considering to get a clear picture of what you are buying in your hardwood flooring. Hickory as discussed can be quite variable.
Now aside from colour, hickory can be a great wood for durability. It is the second hardest domestic wood species commonly made into hardwood flooring in North America. Only mesquite wood flooring is harder according to the standard Janka ranking system. This feature comes at a price though.
Hickory lumber is quite tough and fibrous; in fact it doesn't really like to cut cleanly especially with a semi-dull chisel. Sanding is a challenge, thus we highly recommend that you only purchase pre-finished hardwood flooring. Hickory tends to raise a bur and requires additional attention to preparation if you are to obtain a quality finish. This is easier to do in a multi-million dollar factory than you and I struggling at home. That is besides the fact that large manufactures have the ability to use aluminum oxide additives and UV curing to create a more durable finish.
Check out our site at woodsthebest.com for hickory's janka rank for hardness relative to other wood species and details on shrinkage issues related to hickory hardwood floors that may affect the appropriateness of this species for various home environments; below grade, on grade or above grade.
Hardwood Flooring Installation Companies
One of the most crucial home décor decisions relates to the choice of flooring. With the market flooded with mind boggling flooring options, today's homeowners get easily worked up as it comes to selecting the flooring. The stones, the different variety of tiles, and the greener versions of wood flooring - you name them and you can have them all.
For centuries hardwoods remained the most prized flooring option among the homeowners. But when you are doing up your home in a classic style, you may not probably close your eyes to the beauty and elegance of real wood flooring. In fact, men have never been able to ignore the air of understated sophistication that comes with hardwood flooring. Hardwood flooring reflects nature's diversity with its dramatic range of textures, colors, patterns and styles. And not only beauty - hardwood flooring is a rare combination of practicality, durability and aesthetics. And that explains why wooden flooring remains the most popular flooring option.
While shopping for hardwood flooring, always remember that quality comes for a price.
When there is no doubt that hardwood flooring makes the best choice, you should proceed with caution while choosing the materials. Here are the rules of thumb to help you find out the best product for your dream home.
- If hardwood is your choice, you have to be flexible with your budget-for quality hardwoods; you have to pay the right price. Initially they may seem to be too expensive; but it will turn out to be a life long investment.
- On the other hand, what happens when you opt for the cheaper versions? They turn out to be much costlier in future in terms of repair or changing the whole lot.
- Consider the grain pattern of the woods to judge the strength of the wood.
- Remember, the rarer and more exotic woods command higher prices.
Research your options well before picking up just any variety
- Before hitting the market, do your homework well on the types of the hardwoods used for flooring purposes.
- While choosing the woods keep in mind the overall theme of the décor and then choose the product that best complements the style and mood of your interior.
- Oak and maples are the types of hardwoods that are used in vogue in the interiors of residences as well as commercial complexes. Not only they look lavish and fashionable, these two hardwoods make the strongest wood flooring.
- Rose wood is also a popular hardwood flooring variety and the interior decorators just love the red Brazilian rose wood variety when it comes to bringing about a rustic flavor. Ash, beech, birch, cherry, hickory and walnut are other favorites for achieving decorative accents.
- However, if you want to impart a touch of Victorian aristocracy to your overall home decor, then consider nothing other than Burma Mahogany-the ultimate word in luxurious fine living.
Hardwood flooring makes a practical choice only when you go for its proper care and maintenance. Care for your hardwood flooring doesn't demand much-a regular cleaning of the floor using a wood cleaner and daily sweeping backed by one in a week moping. Use floor mats and fix felt padding under the furniture to protect your precious hardwood flooring scratches and daunts.